Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Finally: A Solid Erlang Community Site

I've been waiting for this one for a while: a website for and by the Erlang developer community: trapexit.org, "your last stop for Erlang information." Finally, Erlang developers will have a wiki, forums, tutorials, blogs, and a place to share knoweldge with each other outside of the erlang-questions mailing list.


The mailing list is effective, but it has drawbacks. Sometimes you have a question and you just don't want to address the entire Erlang developer population with it. It often makes a lot more sense to post it in a forums dedicated to the specific topic of your question. Plus, you don't want to bombard the mailing list with too many questions because you don't want people to think you're a pest (I think I've tested this limit myself all too closely a few times :) ).


Forums are more user friendly than mailing lists in my opinion. They are easier to search and browse, and they have a more welcoming feel. The main downside is that this splinters the community between the mailing list and the forums. I'm looking forward to see to what degree the community embraces them.


My outlet for Erlang ramblings has been this blog up till now. Maybe now that trapexit is around I'll channel some of my writings to its wiki. This will finally give me the opportunity follow my heart and dedicate this blog to Java Server Faces.


Just kidding!!! :)

No comments: