Saturday, July 15, 2006

Embracing Typo

My blog has had quite a journey through different blogging services.


It started at Blogger because it was so easy to set up and start blogging, but I lost my love for Blogger after a while because Blogger didn't let me login to my blog or edit it over SSL. Call me crazy, but I just don't like sending the password for my blog in plaintext over the internet. Having my blog hijacked by a 13 year old Ukranian hacker would really spoil the fun of having a blog.


My blog's next stop was wordpress.com. wordpress.com gives you full SSL access, which is pretty awesome, and it has a pretty nice interface. However, wordpress.com is too locked down for me. It's impossible to manually edit template, and the template selection was pretty poor IMO. Some templates looked nice, but all of them had one or two big flaws that turned them off to me.


Plus, I'm a geek, and I like having full control over blog. At wordpress.com, I have ran the risk of not being able to do whatever I want to do with my blog. That's not to say Wordpress is a bad service -- I'm just not in its target audience.


I stayed at wordpress.com for a while, but when my discomfort has reached a certain level I started looking for alternatives. Then I discovered Typo, a very cool blogging application written in Ruby on Rails. I played with Typo for a little while and I fell in love with it very quickly. Despite its young age, Typo is packed with features, it has a great interface, and because it's written in Rails, I feel right at home with the source code.


I decided to host Typo on my own server (it runs Debian with Lighttpd) so I can have total freedom to tweak it as I please. My blog has finally found its ideal home.


Big thanks to the Typo developers for giving people such a great blogging tool!

2 comments:

Stuart said...

Hi Yariv

I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding wordpress and typo. Do you know of a way to move the content from a wordpress site into typo?

Sutocu said...

You didn't try a self hosted WordPress blog at all? That's what I find works best.