Saturday, September 22, 2007

Fancy Language/Framework Poll Results

My Wufoo poll has reached 99 entries! Let's check out the results.

Most popular languages:
Ruby: 31%
Erlang: 23%
Python: 21%
Lisp: 4%

Most popular frameworks:
Ruby on Rails: 39%
All web frameworks suck: 16%
Django: 15%
ErlyWeb: 6%

You can see the report here, with pretty graphs: http://yariv.wufoo.com/reports/a-fancy-languageframework-report/.

(Btw, it would be great if Wufoo allowed embedding public reports on other pages.)

Ruby/Ruby on Rails is the most popular language/framework among my blog readers. This is interesting, given that I don't write about Ruby much. My take on it is that many Rubyists read my blog because a) they are numerous (I'm sure there are many more Ruby hackers than Erlang hackers) and b) they are curious about other languages, especially Erlang. The same goes for Pythonistas.

It's interesting how many people think that most web frameworks suck. Maybe they don't do web programming (but then, why would they think tools they never use suck?), they love the PHP/JSP model (somehow, I doubt it), or they have better solutions for their needs. It's a mystery.

A couple of responders hate all computer languages. I wonder why they are reading my blog, then. The self-help section is yet to be launched... :)

A curious response is by a Lisp hacker who likes ASP.NET.

Only a couple of responders like Java. It's strange, given that Java is one of the most widespread languages. Maybe I can make ErlyWeb more marketable by renaming it 'Erlang Enterprise ConcurrentBean Application Server' :)

This is too much fun.

4 comments:

meekish said...

Being a pragmatist who currently practices Ruby (and Rails), I read your blog because I'm willing to put anything in my toolbox that will make me more productive or give me the ability to approach common problems from myriad perspectives. Erlang (and ErlyWeb) show some great promise by my estimation.

MrLipid said...

I agree with meekish. I'm interested in whatever works. At the moment, RoR is working very well for me. That said, I like options and Erlang (and Erlyweb) offer an interesting option.

Matt Goodall said...

I didn't enter your poll but my interest in Erlang stems from years of event-driven programming, most recently using Python and Twisted.

I suspect a lot of Twisted users find Erlang interesting because of its different (and elegant) take on concurrent programming.

Chris-Bierig said...

Damn, that sound's so easy if you think about it.